Thursday, September 6, 2007

A giant among a few tall men


In our world of narrow-casting, Pavarotti was one of the few that had the magic bringing newcomers into the opera world.
I have seen many operas and my heart was never touched by this art form. But Pavarotti's voice, presence and personality just could turn anyone into an opera fan. Besides all his talent, his biggest gift was to be able to move effortlessly between pop culture and the stale Opera world: Bono's eulogy can be found on the U2 site and I quoted his last sentence in the title of this post.

The majority of non-opera fans will remember him for his interpretation of Nessun Dorma:

The Prince Nobody shall sleep!... Nobody shall sleep! Even you, o Princess, in your cold room, watch the stars, that tremble with love and with hope.
But my secret is hidden within me, my name no one shall know... No!...No!... On your mouth I will tell it when the light shines.
And my kiss will dissolve the silence that makes you mine!...

The Chorus of women No one will know his name and we must, alas, die.

The Prince Vanish, o night! Set, stars! Set, stars! At dawn, I will win! I will win! I will win!

He certainly did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool article as for me. It would be great to read more concerning this theme. Thank you for giving this info.

Anonymous said...

Rather cool place you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Sincerely yours