Tuesday, February 12, 2008

How Doritos lost its ways


Doritos was the clear winner of the Super Bowl commercial arms race in 2007. The combination of product focus, innovative usage of UGC and refreshing ideas from semi-amateurs worked well.

This year they moved ahead with their UGC approach under title 'Doritos Crash The Super Bowl Contest'. They asked unsigned talents to submit a song, the winner, Kina Grannis, was featured in a Super Bowl commercial (above).

Sure, Kina scored a record deal with Interscope Records and the song was fine but the whole campaign didn't connect with the audience.

Why? People that didn't hear about the contest had no idea why Doritos featured a Folk Song in their commercial. Don't expect football fans at a loud party to read all the copy. It might work in a darkened board room, ain't working in a Super Bowl party madhouse. Most importantly, the product was not the hero. Last year's commercial focused on people's passion around Doritos, how they like to express their appreciation of the product to the world. This year? It's a song. Ok?

Let's look at the lyrics...

Don't break me, I bruise easily
The source of both your love and misery

I am steady, beating endlessly
While you are dozing, dreaming pretty things
Lovely things

I don't work for free
Please take care of me

This is a message from your heart
Your most devoted body part
Taking blood and making art
This is a message from your heart
Pounding away into the dark
You could thank me for a start
This is a message from your heart

Don't hurt me, I bleed constantly
My efforts leave me but flow back swiftly

My rhythm, soothing, like raindrops steady
On foggy windows when you gaze outwardly
Peacefully

Just a sappy song. No connection to Doritos or any product attributes.

I applaud Doritos for not resting on their laurels. But I gotta say that UGC without any product connection doesn't work. For me, that is.

No comments: