Thursday, February 28, 2008

Who said this?

"I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven't just been sitting on my ass all afternoon."

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said."

"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence."

"Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could."

He died yesterday.

Whenever I saw him on 'Firing Line', I was amazed by his eloquence and precise vocabulary.

Yes, William F. Buckley said many despicable things. (Calling the Civil Rights Movement a 'Negro Revolt' is just one of them.)

But he was also able to have civilized debates with people on the opposite end of the spectrum, such as Noam Chomsky. Something we're missing today. Desperately.

No comments: